There are a few different types of mechanics, each with their own set of popular tools. The most common type of mechanic is an automotive mechanic, who works on cars and trucks. Other types of mechanics include diesel mechanics, who work on diesel engines, and motorcycle mechanics, who work on motorcycles.
6. Power drill
7. Tape measure
9. Caulking gun
10. Putty knife
14. Wire cutters
15. Vice grips
16. Drill bit
17. Torque wrench
18. Impact wrench
20. Air compressor
1. A wrench is a tool used to provide grip and mechanical advantage in applying torque to turn objects—usually nuts and bolts—that may otherwise be difficult or impossible to turn.
2. A hammer is a tool that delivers a blow (a sudden impact) to an object. The most common uses for hammers are to drive nails, fit parts, forge metal, and break apart objects.
3. A screwdriver is a tool for driving (turning) screws. The tip of the screwdriver is inserted into the head of the screw, and the handle is turned to drive the screw.
4. Pliers are a type of hand tool used to hold objects firmly, or to apply significant force. Common types of pliers include needle-nose pliers, slip-joint pliers, and locking pliers.
5. A saw is a tool that is used to make cuts in wood or other materials. There are many different types of saws, including hand saws, power saws, and circular saws.
6. A power drill is a tool that is used to make holes in materials, such as wood or metal. The drill is turned on and the bit is inserted into the material. The drill then spins the bit, creating a hole.
7. A tape measure is a tool used to measure distance. It consists of a long, flexible strip of metal or plastic with markings at regular intervals.
8. A level is a tool used to determine whether a surface is level. It consists of a long, straight board with a bubble in the center.
9. A caulking gun is a tool used to apply caulking, a sealant used to fill gaps and cracks. The caulking gun holds a tube of caulking and has a trigger that controls the flow of caulking.
10. A putty knife is a tool used to apply putty, a substance used to fill holes and cracks. The putty knife has a flat, blunt blade that is used to spread the putty.
11. A jigsaw is a power tool used to make curved or irregular cuts in wood or other materials. The jigsaw has a blade that is moved up and down by a motor.
12. A grinder is a power tool that is used to grind, or sand, down surfaces. The grinder has a rotating wheel that is covered in abrasive particles.
13. A file is a tool that is used to smooth or remove material from a surface. The file has a series of sharp teeth that are used to file down the surface.
14. Wire cutters are a type of pliers that are used to cut wire. The wire cutters have a cutting blade that is used to cut the wire.
15. Vice grips are a type of pliers that are used to grip objects. The vice grips have a pair of jaws that can be opened and closed to grip the object.
16. A drill bit is a tool that is used to make holes in materials. The drill bit is inserted into a drill and is used to drill holes in the material.
17. A torque wrench is a tool that is used to apply torque to nuts and bolts. The torque wrench is used to tighten or loosen nuts and bolts.
18. An impact wrench is a power tool that is used to apply torque to nuts and bolts. The impact wrench has a hammer that strikes the nut or bolt, making it easier to loosen or tighten.
19. A Sawzall is a power tool that is used to make cuts in wood or other materials. The Sawzall has a reciprocating blade that is used to make cuts.
20. An air compressor is a tool that is used to compress air. The air compressor has a pump that is used to compress the air.